Environmental Health / Housing Team Leader
Working on behalf of a Local Authority in East London, Buckingham Futures has an excellent opportunity for an Environmental Health, Health and Housing Team Leader to start asap. The contract will initially run till mid-February 2018.
1 x Principal Environmental Health Officer
2 x Environmental Health Officer
2 x Technical Officer
1 x Senior Mortuary Technician
1 x Mortuary Technician
Purpose of the job:
To manage the team carrying out the Directorates housing standards and mortuary service functions and to develop policies and strategies to provide an efficient, effective and equal service having regard to Corporate policy, the needs of the Local Community and the statutory requirements of the service.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To be responsible for the overall management of the Health and Housing Team, including the management of staff, delegated budgets and all other allocated resources. The post holder will devise and implement all work programmes and maintain a balance between proactive and reactive work and be expected to manage potentially conflicting priorities which occur frequently due to public complaint, intensive programmed enforcement investigations and changing legislative requirements.
- To develop, implement and continually review the Directorates’ policies, strategies and procedures relating to the Teams functional areas in response to legislative changes, member’s priorities and demands for service from members of the public.
- To regularly carry out enforcement activities in commercial and domestic premises, particularly those presenting problems of contentious or complex nature or where outcomes have substantial resource implications.
- To be the Council’s expert advisor in designated areas of work and to provide expert technical and professional advice to Senior Managers, Members and service users and to devise, implement and evaluate training programmes in those areas of expertise for all Environmental Health staff. To provide cover for the other Team Leader posts within the Environmental Health, Environmental Protection Division.
- To manage major projects, undertake research, develop proposals, negotiate agreements, secure finances and monitor implementation. Such projects will include assessing and understanding the future of the private rented sector, identifying pockets of unfit housing, assessing the implications of the Borough-wide survey and developing programmes of enforcement and the Houses in Multiple Occupation Registration Scheme to improve and repair dangerous rented properties so that they are safe for the occupiers.
- To develop and implement a proactive and reactive inspection programme for residents of the Borough and to promote the aims and objectives of the service through consultation with users. This will include the development of landlords and tenants forums. To manage the Council’s Mortuary and provide a good quality and respectful end of life service, including liaison with the Coroner and the other four Local Authorities within the Consortium.
- To establish and maintain a risk assessment and inspection programme for all Houses in Multiple Occupation within the Borough, to comply with the Council’s statutory requirements, Government guidance and local needs. To establish and maintain a Houses in Multiple Occupation Registration Scheme register. To manage the Council’s works in default process and liaise with the other four Local Authorities within the Consortium.
- To lead the Environmental Health, Environmental Protection, Health and Housing Team and manage staff through the setting of objectives and targets and the monitoring of team and individual performance.
- To effectively manage the team’s budget, maximising income and enhancing service provision within limited resources, in accordance with the Council’s Financial Regulations and Standing Orders.
- To visit commercial and domestic premises in situations where the officer is not able to obtain assistance from other colleagues. Such activity will occur outside of normal working hours and at weekends. Enforcement action will include the service of notice, undertaking work in default, forced entry under warrant from a magistrate, seizure of equipment and information and the institution of legal proceedings which may result in the closure of businesses and the imprisonment of the offender.
- To regularly liase and consult with Government Departments, external bodies, voluntary agencies and user groups when the postholder will represent, act and take decisions on behalf of the Council.
- To act as the instructing officer to Legal Services on all matters that relate to the Team’s activities and, where necessary, prepare and present cases in Court acting as the Council’s expert witness in criminal prosecutions.
- Develop liaison and ensure co-operation between the Environmental Health, Environmental Protection Division and other specialist functions and Directorates within the Council, e.g. Housing Strategy, to promote a strategic and multi-disciplinary approach to problem solving and ensuring best use of resources.
- To develop, promote and continually review the policies and strategies that relate to the team’s functions to reflect changing legislation and consumer needs.
- To manage a caseload of complex and contentious issues and to balance conflicting demands and priorities in relation to service delivery.
- To exercise delegated authority and act on behalf of the Council to ensure that the Authority’s statutory and other obligations are properly and effectively discharged.
- To initiate enforcement activities in circumstances where legislation dictates that the officer is personally liable for the actions taken.
- Develop and maintain management information systems and databases on residential premises which provide a resource for the Borough and form the basis of reports to Members, Chief Officers and Government Departments for submitting statistical returns and securing external funding and resources.
- To develop and monitor the Directorate’s performance to meet the target set in BVPI 62 in respect of the proportion of unfit private sector dwellings made fit or demolished.
- Produce and present information and reports on Environmental Health, Environmental Protection initiatives to a variety of audiences, including user groups, Council Committees and local forums.
- To undertake training needs analysis of staff and to develop and implement a training strategy for the Health and Housing Team.
- Attend, convene and chair working parties and groups in connection with Health and Housing Team projects and issues.
- To implement an effective and efficient reactive mortuary service for the Council, in accordance with the requirements of the Coroner and statutory guidance, and which contributes to the emergency planning process.
If you have the right skills, experience and qualifications for these roles and feel you match the requirements, or if you would like more information on the role, please contact us on 020 8732 5450 or email email@example.com.
Should your application be successful, you will be contacted shortly.
Thank you for your interest in our role. Buckingham Futures endeavours to respond to all applications; however, due to the volume of CVs received, this may not always be possible.
Apply for Environmental Health / Housing Team Leader
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly