Health and Safety Officer
Our client in South London is recruiting for a Health and Safety Officer to conduct health and safety audits and inspections of Council workplaces following a planned programme.
- Producing written reports showing qualitative and quantitative assessments and an Action Plan to be produced within 5 working days of the visit. Making timely formal follow-ups of Action Plans produced following inspection and audit visits.
- Providing focussed information to Directorate Health and Safety Liaison Officers and Directorate staff acting in a health and safety focal point role and supporting them in their role ensuring a uniformity of approach across the Councils. Providing professional advice, both written and verbal, to all areas of the Councils on health and safety matters enabling them to fulfil their health and safety related roles and responsibilities. Promoting and developing a positive health and safety culture amongst staff by providing a practical approach to health and safety management, identifying realistic cost effective solutions to potential health and safety related problems.
- Carrying out Fire Risk Assessments (FRA) and Disability Access Audits at sites both within and external to the Boroughs. This in-depth specialist work involves a full audit of existing provision and recommendations for improvement. The FRA is a statutorily required document and is subject to scrutiny by the Fire Enforcing Authority.
- Ensuring that a continuing programme of health and safety training is developed and delivered both at Headquarters locatons and on-site and that individual briefings and presentations are prepared as required to enable the Councisl to ensure its managers and staff have the necessary competence to fulfil their health and safety responsibilities. The post holder will be expected to complete any necessary “train the trainer” to enable him/her to deliver required training, for example, ladder safety.
- Supporting managers in developing and maintaining robust risk assessments and providing specialist training and guidance where required. Identifying appropriate cost effective and pragmatic actions to mitigate any risks identified ensuring such assessments are proportionate to the overall level of risk.
- Ensuring the accident and incident database is up to date and the reporting of incidents to enforcing authorities in in compliance with statutory requirements. Assisting establishments in the investigation of accidents, assaults or dangerous occurrences producing a written report where required.
- Maintaining an excellent professional working relationship with colleagues both health and safety and occupational health, Directorate Health and Safety Liaison Officers and with Trade Union Health and Safety Representatives. Developing excellent professional working relationships with all areas of the Councils both at Headquarters and in the outfield (schools, sheltered housing, sports facilities, etc.)
Generic Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintaining professional knowledge and skills and keeping abreast of new developments in the field of health and safety, both statutory and best practice. Participating in formal Continuing Professional Development.
- To comply with all the Councils’ Codes of Practice, including the Code of Conduct, and policies and procedures concerning data protection and health and safety.
- To be committed to the promotion of equality, diversity and inclusion for others, both colleagues and clients and maintain an awareness of the equality and diversity protocol; to work to create and maintain a safe, supportive and welcoming environment where all people are treated with dignity and their identity and culture are valued and respected and to report any instances of inappropriate behaviour or discrimination.
- To be fully aware of and understand the duties and responsibilities arising from the Children’s Act 2004, the London Child Protection Procedures and Working Together in relation to child protection and safeguarding children and young people as this applies to your role within the council. To also be fully aware of the principles of safeguarding as they apply to vulnerable adults in relation to your work role. To ensure that your line manager is made aware and kept fully informed of any concerns which you may have in relation to safeguarding and/or child protection.
- To carry out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities within the overall function, commensurate with the grading and level of responsibilities of the post.
If you have the right skills, experience and qualifications for these roles and feel you match the requirements, or if you would like more information on the role, please contact us on 020 8732 5450 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Should your application be successful, you will be contacted shortly.
Thank you for your interest in our role. Buckingham Futures endeavours to respond to all applications; however, due to the volume of CVs received, this may not always be possible.
Apply for Health and Safety Officer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly