Food and Safety Team Leader
Food and Safety Team Leader
South Oxfordshire District Council and Vale of White Horse District Council are forward thinking local authorities, based in one of the most attractive areas of the country. They are looking for a professional, competent and enthusiastic person who is able to communicate well at all levels. An excellent benefits package is on offer including annualised hours (flexible working) and a career average pension scheme. They have modern open plan offices and smart working practices and the technology to support mobile working.
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Hours: 37 hours per week
Salary: £42,191 - £46,368, grade 8
Benefits: A basic 23 days annual leave per annum, rising to 28 days after five years. You also have all the bank holidays to look forward to and time off between Christmas and New Year. A flexible approach to work; pension scheme; childcare voucher scheme; Cyclescheme; gym membership, free swims, contributory medical schemes, wellbeing appointments, free eye tests for DSE users, after work sports clubs and more; ample free parking available.
About the role:
The Food and Safety Team Leader will support the Food and Safety Manager and work alongside another team leader to lead a team of 11 professional staff. You’ll have managerial responsibility for five team members and the delivery of the work programme covering food hygiene, health and safety, infectious disease, allergens and smoke-free related issues.
- Line managing a team of officers, undertaking formal appraisals and regular one to one meetings
- Carrying out performance management and quality reviews of the work undertaken in the food and safety team with the objective of ensuring consistency across the service, and compliance with relevant legislation, codes of practice, approved guidance and corporate policies
- Guiding officers and providing technical support in the investigation of complaints, responding to requests for service, and taking formal action
- Undertaking programmed inspections and project work, and investigate service requests including complaints, notifiable diseases and reportable incidents, exercising enforcement powers as required
- Maintaining an understanding of legislation and guidance relevant to food hygiene and health & safety
- Developing, maintaining and implementing operational plans, policies, procedures and strategies to improve and maintain efficiency and effectiveness for the food and safety team
- Help formulate and deliver the team’s objectives
- Providing specialist food and safety advice within the council as required
- Ensuring the Food and Safety Manager is kept fully informed on any aspect of work which is controversial, political, strategic, financial or otherwise of a sensitive or highly complex nature
- Researching, writing and presenting detailed reports as required
- Assisting the Food and Safety Manager and deputising as required
- Participating in the out of hours noise service on a rota basis
- Environmental health or food safety professional with EHORB / EHRB registration
- Post qualification experience in local authority food hygiene and health & safety enforcement
- Experience of inspecting premises and a wide range of enforcement action
- In-depth knowledge of food and health & safety legislation
- Experience of working in a senior and supervisory role
- Ability to progress projects and enforcement cases in a timely manner and with minimal supervision
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Political awareness and the ability to escalate issues to senior managers
- Competent user of Microsoft Office, e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
If you have the following experience or qualifications – it’s a bonus:
- Management qualification
- Experience of managing people
- Experience of using performance management techniques
- Experience of report writing
- Experience of presenting reports in various forums
- Experience of quality management systems
You may have experience of the following: Food and Safety Team Leader, Food Hygiene, Environmental Health Officer, Health & Safety Officer, Environmental Advisor, Environment Inspector, EHORB, EHRB, Food Safety, Health and Safety Team Leader etc.
This vacancy is being advertised by EasyWeb Recruitment, the UK’s leading Online Recruitment Agency. The services advertised by EasyWeb Recruitment are those of an employment agency. No terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, or belief, and we confirm that we will gladly accept all applications.