Health and Safety Officer
Working on behalf of a Local Authority in South London, Buckingham Futures has an excellent opportunity for an experienced Health and Safety Officer to ensure the continued compliance with health, safety and welfare statutory requirements and business best practice, working as part of the Health and Safety Team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducting health and safety audits and inspections of Council workplaces following a planned programme. Producing written reports showing qualitative and quantitative assessments and an Action Plan to be produced within 5 working days of the visit. Making timely formal follow-ups of Action Plans produced following inspection and audit visits.
- Providing focussed information to Directorate Health and Safety Liaison Officers and Directorate staff acting in a health and safety focal point role and supporting them in their role ensuring a uniformity of approach across the Council. Providing professional advice, both written and verbal, to all areas of the Council on health and safety matters enabling them to fulfil their health and safety related roles and responsibilities. Promoting and developing a positive health and safety culture amongst staff by providing a practical approach to health and safety management, identifying realistic cost effective solutions to potential health and safety related problems.
- Carrying out Fire Risk Assessments (FRA) and Disability Access Audits at sites both within and external to the Boroughs. This in-depth specialist work involves a full audit of existing provision and recommendations for improvement. The FRA is a statutorily required document and is subject to scrutiny by the Fire Enforcing Authority.
- Ensuring that a continuing programme of health and safety training is developed and delivered both at Headquarters locations and on-site and that individual briefings and presentations are prepared as required to enable the Councils to ensure its managers and staff have the necessary competence to fulfil their health and safety responsibilities. The post holder will be expected to complete any necessary “train the trainer” to enable him/her to deliver required training, for example, ladder safety.
- Supporting managers in developing and maintaining robust risk assessments and providing specialist training and guidance where required. Identifying appropriate cost effective and pragmatic actions to mitigate any risks identified ensuring such assessments are proportionate to the overall level of risk.
- Ensuring the accident and incident database is up to date and the reporting of incidents to enforcing authorities in in compliance with statutory requirements. Assisting establishments in the investigation of accidents, assaults or dangerous occurrences producing a written report where required.
If you have the right experience for this role and feel your skills and experience match the requirements, or if you would like more information on the role, please contact us on 020 8732 5450 or email firstname.lastname@example.org