Principal Environmental Health and Housing Officer
Our Local Authority client in the North West of England is recruiting for a Principal Environmental Health and Housing Officer (Maternity Cover for up to 12 months)
Our client is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Environmental Health Officer to manage a busy team of officers providing and delivering a range of pollution and private sector housing services, including:
- Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG’s)
- Empty property
- Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO’s)
- Housing Health Safety Rating System (HHSRS)
- Air quality and contaminated land
- Private water supplies and LAPPC
- Noise and public health nuisances
- Gypsy and traveller caravan site licensing and unauthorised encampments.
The essential qualifications are BSc in Environmental Health, or similar approved qualification, or equivalent previous experience and a Certificate of Registration with the Environmental Health Registration Board (EHRB)
- Recruit, manage, motivate and develop a team within Environmental Health Services to ensure that the Service has the resources and capabilities it needs to deliver its key priorities.
- Improve the quality of life of residents in terms of environmental health supporting neighbourhood working and approach; and promoting a customer focused approach to service delivery.
- Responsible for delivering specialist areas of the environmental health function and deputising for the Environmental Health Manager.
Key areas of Responsibility
- Lead on service improvements for allocated Environmental Health Teams by, for example, determining and setting priorities, ensuring that services are provided efficiently and effectively, in line with legislation and service standards.
- Provide overall management and development of Environmental Health Teams
- Responsible for delivery of a number of environmental health functions which may include but are not limited to; pollution control, contaminated land, private water supplies, environmental crime, dog control and pest control, port health, food safety, health and safety, public health, Private Sector Housing, Travellers and statutory nuisances.
- To work with the other internal and external partners to achieve improvements in Environmental Health for Neighbours and in exceptional circumstances support service delivery, such as, corporate emergency responses, food poisoning outbreaks, serious accident investigations and pollution incidents.
Education & Qualifications
- BSc or MSc in Environmental Health or equivalent
- Registration with EHORB
- Management qualification
- Additional relevant post graduate qualification
Experience, Knowledge & Understanding
- A minimum of 5 years post qualification experience of Environmental Health Services
- Experience of working within a local authority
- Experience of defining and delivering service improvement across or within teams that had a positive impact on service for the public
- Knowledge of current legislation relevant to the post
- Experience of programme and project management
- Experience of budget management
- Experience of staff management
- Committee, court and presentation experience
- Understanding and experience of the FLARE computer system
- Experience of working in a multi-agency setting
- Skilled in team motivation and leading staff
- Skilled at service improvement
- Able to understand, interpret and analyse new legislation and regulations
- Able to interpret and analyse financial information
- Good communication and presentational skills
If you have the right experience for this role and feel your skills and experience match the requirements, or if you would like more information, please contact us on 020 8732 5450 or email email@example.com
Due to the high volume of enquiries that we receive, we are not always able to respond to all CVs. If you have not received a response within one week, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful in this instance.