Trading Standards Officer / Senior Trading Standards Officer
Our client in the West London is recruiting for a Trading Standards Officer / Senior Trading Standards Officer to work as a member of the Trading Standards Service applying expert professional and technical skills in the provision of an effective, efficient and responsive regulatory service
- The post holder will be authorised to make regulatory decisions on a range of enforcement actions available to them. These will be commensurate with their level of competency and overseen by the Trading Standards and PoCA Manager as appropriate.
- To manage a caseload which can encompass the complete range of Trading Standards legislation, and involving, though not exclusively or exhaustively:
- The assessment and prioritisation of complaints and service requests coming into the Service
- The investigation of complaints and service requests that fit within current criteria
- Management of product withdrawals and recall
- Investigation of rogue traders and scam
- Providing appropriate support to victims of crime and making referrals to other agencies where appropriate
- To apply professional and technical skill to the investigation and management of potential criminal offences or civil breaches, including: the collection of all necessary evidence for potential legal proceedings including witness statements, conducting inspections using powers available and conducting PACE interview
- Appropriate management of victims and witnesses, including vulnerable witnesses
- Preparation of high quality and comprehensive infringement reports containing all necessary evidence with appropriate recommendation
- Liaison with the Council's Legal Service
- Consideration of POCA implication
- Attendance at court and giving evidence as necessary
- Production and dissemination of intelligence reports where appropriate
- All enforcement work must be conducted in accordance with the Police and Criminal Evidence Act (PACE), the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (RIPA), the Criminal Procedures and Investigations Act (CPIA) and the Human Rights Act (HRA)
- To help plan and deliver promotional and other activities, including training that helps influence business to improve their understanding of relevant regulatory responsibilities under consumer protection legislation.
- To maintain accurate and timely records using current software on the Trading Standards database of visits, inspections, service requests and complaints.
- Diploma in Trading Standards (DTS) or its antecedents OR
- Diploma in Consumer Affairs and Trading Standards (DCATS) OR
- Full Diploma in Consumer Affairs (DCA)
- Evidence of continuing professional development
- Either: to hold Chartered Trading Standards Practitioner status; or be accredited by the National Crime Agency as a Financial Investigator under parts 2 and 8 of the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002.
- Current Full Driving licence
- To have a vehicle available for work so that visits to traders, witnesses etc can be carried out.
- Experience of obtaining Justices' warrants, RIPA authorisations and similar legal processes
- Experience in providing advice and information to, and influencing, a wide variety of stakeholders including businesses, consumers, enforcement partners and colleagues - from vulnerable consumers to Directors and representatives of large businesses POB - in addition to the above
- Significant experience of working in a local authority based regulatory services environment with an extensive knowledge of relevant legislation, guidance and good practice
- Experience of leading and participating in complex investigations with a track record of preparing complex infringement reports that have resulted in legal proceedings
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the role of regulatory services covered by Local Authorities
- Understanding of the importance of intelligence and experience of using intelligence databases and the production of 5x5x5s
To register your interest please call us on 020 8732 5450 or email email@example.com
Due to the high volume of enquiries that we receive, we are not always able to respond to all CVs. If you have not received a response within one week, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful in this instance.