Specialist Noise Advice and Control Officer
Buckingham Futures have an exciting opportunity for a Specialist Noise Advice and Control Officer in East London to start asap initially for 3 months and extendable thereafter.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
You will undertake an important role in the maintenance of the council’s standards on noise pollution and provide a major contribution to the prevention of short and longer term noise related issues. You will achieve this by advising residents, businesses and others in the borough on everyday but also more complex noise nuisance related issues.
In some cases if the complexity of a noise case is apparent, you will directly investigate these types of case and in particular, those relating to commercial complaints where your use of specialist knowledge and delegated powers will be of greatest effect.
MAIN AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- The post holder will have lead responsibility and accountability for the following:-
- Take the lead for the team to deliver the commitments of the council to appraise planning applications, licensing applications and construction projects for issues relating to noise pollution or nuisance.
- Make recommendations regarding any conditions to be applied to any application and make decisions as to the issuing of relevant permits as appropriate
- Provide specialist advice on noise pollution matters and the application of legislation to immediate colleagues and those in other departments and agencies.
- Hold a case load of noise cases, those normally requiring specialist noise related knowledge and experience, such as relating to commercial premises.
- Use case management and other information systems to ensure that timely records of cases progressing effectively and made and that agreed service standards are maintained.
- When undertaking duties, take account of the vulnerabilities of both repeat victims and also those from particular groups.
- Identify possible cases, make decisions and implement appropriate safeguarding referrals as necessary.
- Use a range of early intervention tools to manage cases but be able to use a broad spread of enforcement options using delegated powers in relation to the management of noise complaints. These delegated powers include warnings, the service of Noise Abatement Notices, Fixed Penalty Notices for Night Noise and any emerging new or revised powers, obtain warrants, seize equipment and attend court when necessary.
- Relevant experience of working within the crime and disorder or regulatory service field.
- Expert knowledge and experience of the complete range of technical aspects of noise pollution and nuisance control and related legislative and regulatory framework.
- Possess an IoA Diploma in Acoustics or other relevant qualification in acoustics or noise control.
- Ability to provide a problem solving approach to resolve matters.
- Ability and willingness to acquire new skills and demonstrate a commitment to learning and development, keeping up to date with changes to legislation.
- Experience of managing small projects that are delivered to the Council’s approved procedures to provide practical solutions and/or solve problems.
- Experience with managing the balance required to ensure effective and lawful sharing of personal information.
- Experience of providing authoritative and informed advice to a range of partners and the public.
- Experience of working in a multi–agency and wider partnership environment.
- Knowledge of crime and disorder partnerships, anti social behaviour tools and powers, the tools and powers and statutory obligations relating to the management of noise complaints.
- Experience of operating case management systems and use them to both provide accountability for actions and delivery of service standards and individual performance and that of the team.
- Ability to work to achieving service standards, statutory obligations and quality methods of practice
- Proven record of effective decision making. In particular as regards the management of risks concerning case management.
- Ability and willingness to work a shift pattern including some night duties to support provision of the out of hours’ service.
- Possession of a clean full driving licence.
For further information including the job description, person specification please call us on 020 8732 5450 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to the high volume of enquiries that we receive, we are not always able to respond to all CVs. If you have not received a response within one week, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful in this instance.